Sunday, April 19, 2015

Making Math Engaging: The Learning Carpet

The Learning Carpet

So, I thought I'd start my "real" first teacher-type blog post with something real inspiring, The Learning Carpet. This resource is so fabulous, that you may want to have it laid out the entire year, but there's only one problem: If you want the official Learning Carpet, you may have to shell out $300. 

....but wait, I have a little secret for you. You can make your own. When I decided that my poor, student teacher self was going to make the carpet, I did a lot of research before investing any money. At first, I kept coming across the same type of approach, duck tape and a shower curtain/tarp. Yes, this method seemed inspiring and cheap, but it also seemed very time consuming. Then I came across this fabulous blog, Teacher Blog Spot, and boy was I excited when I saw an easier alternative. You can find the original post here

Basically, the blogger tries the original method and then tries her own method of using a white sheet and spray paint. Oh my is this easy!

Here's my try with some help from my dad:




The finished project. To keep this carpet secure, I tape the sheet down with shrink wrap tape. You can use duck tape too. It must be sturdy, so that the kids can walk around on it and use it to its fullest potential. The blogger that I got this idea from does mention about quite possibly using a thin carpet remnant, which is also something that I'm considering for my future classroom.

Did I mention how the activities are endless with this "carpet?"


Assessing students number sense through having them exploring the chart and placing the numbers in their correct places (whole group).


Greater than, less than (center activity)

 Ten more and ten less (center activity)

I plan on doing a lot more with this chart. One of my goals is to integrate geometry by creating pattern blocks. It's a working progress. Also, I am currently creating letter squares for a word work activity. Words?! Yes, you read this right. This carpet is not just for math. Truly, the opportunities are endless. Plus, my kids love it.  

I will be posting my created learning carpet resources in my store. To respect copyright laws, I will be naming them life size hundred chart resources. So, stay tuned!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment